A few (probably simple) problems since 2.0 install

Subject: A few (probably simple) problems since 2.0 install
From: Pat Plummer (ppat@micron.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 00:08:42 MDT

Folks:

First off, I want to say that, although I know there are some that are less
than satisfied with this first iteration, that I am quite impressed and there
has been some strong work done here for 2.0. Kudos!

I got my disks the other day and did a complete fresh install of 2.0 after
backing up data files etc from 1.2.1 (which were eventually installed back
onto the 2.0 system without a hitch). The reason I did this is to fix some
initial wrong assumptions I made about formatting when I first installed way
back when. But that's neither here nor there.

My particulars: iMac 400 SE Graphite with 128 meg RAM, 192 meg swap space,
dual boot setup.

A problem I have had is that when I tried to do an install of "everything"
the installer would hang each time I tried to do it. I then did the home
office install and have had to install other things like dev stuff, ftpd,
ntpd, named etc. Which was not hard to do, but now, I cannot get these
services to start up at boot and I have to start them manually. The scripts
are in /etc/rc.d/init.d with links in the various runlevel folders, but they
will not launch automagically. I know I'm missing something stupid, but can't
figure it out. Any hints?

Also, in KDE, the desktop backgrounds etc are beautiful!! Nice work guys!

BUT, I made a change to kdm via the KDE control center to change to a clock
instead of the YDL logo and now the background and logo specified in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 will not show up and I get only a fairly ugly textured
gray background like the type you'd see when X is loading. I reinstalled KDE
to see if I could get back to the original setup, but no go.

This is noted in places in the kdeusers mailing list archives as happening to
some people, but I could not find a fix for this problem. Anyone figured it
out or have suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Pat

--