Re: Cheap ATA Cards?

Subject: Re: Cheap ATA Cards?
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 03:53:53 MDT

On Wednesday 06 June 2001 04:09, you wrote:
> It's the Sonnet card - with all the messages going around in the past
> couple of days I didn't want to recommend a card and then get blamed for it
> not being universally compatible. However, Dan states this card is now
> almost officially supported ....

You're right to be careful what you say, but most of us here know the score.
"Got it to work on one machine" not = "Officially Supported in a variety of
configuruations".

 Eg. I bought a new $127 30 gig hard drive and installed in in my blue g3.
It must have a rom or not need one, because it booted fine. I took the old
6gb apple drive and stuck it on the eide chain as a slave to the cd/dvd rom
drive , mounting it in the zip drive enclosure. It's slow but I use it for
archives and experiments. Who knows what mounting it in the zip enclosure
will do to the drive (heat might be a problem because the drive is completely
enclosed in metal. (Maybe, maybe not. It's survived 8 months that way. ) ymmv
Will apple support this? Will Terraplex? Would I? Wouldn't think so! Does
it work? Seems to.... ;-)

-pat