HELP! I am new to Linux!

Subject: HELP! I am new to Linux!
From: Morelos Barros (morelius@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 07:47:44 MDT

Hello all!

Well, I just bought Yellow Dog and I thought Linux was going to be
pretty much lilke Mac OS... but I was wrong.

So I am new to Linux. I've read a lot of it but I am begining to use
it now. I was excited at first but I find it too difficult.

U see, I am not a computer guru. I am just a normal user oriented to
graphic art. So I bought YDL to try and learn Linux but MAN it's
tough.

So I hope you can help me ... I have a few questions...

1. Installation was pretty simple and easy. How ever I can't install
any of the Tasty Morsels CD software. I think I have to know some
Unix commands.... but I don't know any... How can I install Open
Office?

2. The Linux partition on my hard disk is 2 GB. But how can I know
how many disk space is left? I tried the KDE explorer but I couldn't
find where it says it.

3. you may laugh at this... but is Root my hard disk? I know I had to
make three partitions but I don't know where are they!

4. Isn't there any stable web browser? Konqueror crashes very often
and Mozilla just closes and I have to reboot!!

5. Talking about browsers... How about the plug ins? Do we have
quicktime and flash?

And last question.... I know I need a very good book. However I don't
know which one should I buy. Any sugestions for a "Linux for dorks"
book? *LOL*

Thanx for your help!

Morelos