IPNetRouter and Linux Problems

Subject: IPNetRouter and Linux Problems
From: theman (stickboy11@mac.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 16:09:15 MDT

Hey, Guys.

I've got a Blue and White G3 and a Pismo 400mhz that I'd like to have on the
internet at the same time. The G3 is on the internet via 56k (Heh, I know,
I know). The Laptop is connected to a 4-port hub via a standard Cat5 cable,
as is the G3. I have set up IPNetRouter to use IPs of the form 192.168.0.x
for the LAN, and have assigned the Blue and White G3 an IP of 192.168.0.1.

I've tested and used the same IPNetRouter configuration for other computers,
including this same laptop, in OS 9.1 and OSX, by assigning them IPs in the
subnet and giving them Router addresses, etc. I used the following command
to enable eth0 (it wasn't configured out-of-the-box):

> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up

But when I try to download a file (via lynx) it says it is unable to connect
to FTP host... Now I know that the network is functioning correctly because
I can ping 192.168.0.1 (the blue and white g3) from the laptop.

The G3 Tower is running OS 9.1, and the Laptop is running YDL 1.2.1 with
kernel 2.2.15pre-something..

Do I need to give the laptop a router address? And what about a DNS
address? These are things I've had to configure on the other machines I've
hooked up to the lan, but I don't see anywhere in Linux...

Thank you for any help.

-Alan Orth