Re: HELP! I am new to Linux!

Subject: Re: HELP! I am new to Linux!
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 16:14:15 MDT

On Wednesday 06 June 2001 09:47, you wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Well, I just bought Yellow Dog and I thought Linux was going to be
> pretty much lilke Mac OS... but I was wrong.

It sure is different isn't it. The Macintosh operating system was a well
thought out implementation that substituted the graphical interface you see
in the finder for what is in other operating systems is called a command line
interface. The command line interface is something you will have to become
comfortable with in order to use linux successfully.

> So I am new to Linux. I've read a lot of it but I am begining to use
> it now. I was excited at first but I find it too difficult.

The transition can be difficult but you will find others who have made the
transition and are willing to help you. Try the website of "Basic Linux
Training" They're quite helpful there.

> U see, I am not a computer guru. I am just a normal user oriented to
> graphic art. So I bought YDL to try and learn Linux but MAN it's
> tough.

I'm not sure how much you'll need to know in order to learn to do what you
want to do, but you can start with a few commands. Don't expect the kind of
help system and guidance through a series of steps you're used to in MacOS
though.

> So I hope you can help me ... I have a few questions...
>
> 1. Installation was pretty simple and easy. How ever I can't install
> any of the Tasty Morsels CD software. I think I have to know some
> Unix commands.... but I don't know any... How can I install Open
> Office?

The command for installation of packages is called rpm. You can operate it
on the command line with the command

rpm -ivh filename

where you substitute the filename of the package you want to install

> 2. The Linux partition on my hard disk is 2 GB. But how can I know
> how many disk space is left? I tried the KDE explorer but I couldn't
> find where it says it.

The df command will show you how much disk space you have available and how
much is used.

> 3. you may laugh at this... but is Root my hard disk? I know I had to
> make three partitions but I don't know where are they!

Each of the three partitions you created are on your hard disk. In Macos,
you probably are used to treating a single disk as a unit, although it is
possible to partition any disk so that it appears as if there is more than
one disk when in fact there is just one. In Linux, partioning a disk into
multiple segments is the usual way to go about things. My disks usually have
a partition for /, /root and /home. This makes things easier when I have
to re-install.

> 4. Isn't there any stable web browser? Konqueror crashes very often
> and Mozilla just closes and I have to reboot!!

I don't know. I've only had trouble with netscape.

> 5. Talking about browsers... How about the plug ins? Do we have
> quicktime and flash?

No quicktime that I know of. I think Macromedia came out with something for
linux last year. I don't use multi-media in my browser.

> And last question.... I know I need a very good book. However I don't
> know which one should I buy. Any sugestions for a "Linux for dorks"
> book? *LOL*

One good one is Running Linux. An essential reference is Linux in a Nutshell.

> Thanx for your help!
>
> Morelos
>
> ______

I hope this helps some.