Re: HELP! I am new to Linux!

Subject: Re: HELP! I am new to Linux!
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 18:44:16 MDT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Sean O. Denney wrote:
>4. Never ever mount your MacOS partition as writable. You can mount
>it as readable, but NOT WRITABLE!!

 Why's that? Have you had problems with this? I've mounted the macos
partition to modify my yaboot.conf file without any problems.

>put the CD in the CD tray, open a linux terminal, type
>
>mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

 Actually, 'mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom' will work just fine. Save
yourself some keystrokes. :-)

>> 2. The Linux partition on my hard disk is 2 GB. But how can I know
>> how many disk space is left? I tried the KDE explorer but I couldn't
>> find where it says it.
>
>open a linux terminal, type
>
>du

 This will actually show you the usage of all directories below your
current directory, which might take a long time, and seem to scroll
forever.

 du | less

 is better,

 du -s

 is even better (but will still take a long time)

 df

 is probably closer to what he is looking for. man df for more
information.

>(OK, so this is a really cruel idea.) Netscape is flaky under
>Linux/UNIX, but is the best option. You don't have to reboot the
>machine, just kill netscape's process.

 Bah, no! Opera is *much* better than Netscape/Mozilla. You can get a free
version (with banner ads) from http://www.opera.com, or you can buy a
version without ads. I'm going to buy a copy because it is pretty damn
good.

 Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada