Basic YDL 2.0 HD Size requirements

Subject: Basic YDL 2.0 HD Size requirements
From: Craig Miller (cvmiller@linuxfreemail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 09:04:27 MDT

All,

I am not sure why YDL doesn't publish these numbers, but I thought they might prove
helpful to all considering installing YDL 2.0.

In the new installer there are several levels of install ranging from Base to Everything.

I only had a 1.2 GB partition for YDL 2.0, so I was interested in just what I could
install, since the new installer doesn't permit you to select packages individually.
After doing a few installs (I initially had a bad install CD, thanks to Dan Burcaw
and the shipping folks for getting me a new one very fast!). Here's what I discovered:
        Base Install - about 200 MB (careful, there's no X, KDE, or GNOME)
        Home/Office Install - about 800 MB (this is a good base if you plan to use KDE or GNOME)
        Developer Install - about 1.1 GB (this installs lots of languages and libraries)

I didn't test the other installs, as I only have a 1.2 GB root partition, and I
wanted to use the X desktop.

These sizes are not exact! But hopefully will help you decide just how much stuff you
want the installer to put on your HD.

Good luck, and have fun with YDL 2.0!

Craig...