Upgrade to XFree86 4 works but 3.3.6 still comes up?

Subject: Upgrade to XFree86 4 works but 3.3.6 still comes up?
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 11:07:06 MDT

This is an odd one that has me tearing my hair out. I went to LinuxPPC org
and got the latest XFree86 4.0 rpms.

I went ahead and upgraded my XFree86 3.3.6 using KPackage. Well, it all
seemed to install just fine (I did have to force a couple of circular
dependencies) but when I called startx, it came up with version 3.3.6 again!
At least that's what the screen says. And it still works off my old
XF86Config file.

What the heck? No amount of messing around seems to work. I look at the rpm
database with Kpackage and it says all the packages are 4.0.99 (as does 'rpm
-q XFree86').

Am I crazy? Did I forget a step. I mean, I expected it to be broken, but I
didn't expect it to not change at all.

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com