ydl-2.0 on powerbook/lombard: lose lose lose

Subject: ydl-2.0 on powerbook/lombard: lose lose lose
From: Art Medlar (art-ydl-general@pigdogs.org)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 12:40:03 MDT

Problems so far:

Instructions for bootX installation contains the following:
"In addition, this installer assume 2 things:" It then proceeds
to not list those two things.

Booting from cd for yaboot installer seems to go fine, but the
disk partitioning routine is way way way broken.

Doing a default installation (haven't tried any other) the partitioner
behaves reasonably while seting up the sizes of partitions (I tried to
create 4: 10M boot, 256M swap, 1G, and 8G, in addition to two existing
MacOS partitions, a 6G hfs+ and a 1G hfs for sharing between MacOS and
linux).

The instructions tell me to "record the name and location of each
partition as you may need them later." But there was no opportunity
to name the partitions, and no indication of "location". (Unless that
means hd## rather than block address).

Here's where the fun starts. Click "done" on the partition tool and
one of two things happens:

 . A near-immidiate seg fault:
     ".xinitrc segmentation violation"
   Followed very quickly, too quickly to gather any more
   information, by a reboot.

 . Or the little formatting info box sits around for a little
   while until some large python (!!??!) error message pops up
   telling me that "/tmp/root/etc: file exists", and asking me
   to start over again. Unfortunately, none of the continue,
   quit or debug buttons work, and the only way out is the
   reset key.

The machine was formerly running MacOS 9.1 and ydl 1.1 on a
single disk with bootX. What I wanted to do was completely
zap and reinstall the linux side while leaving the mac partitions
alone. And replace bootX with yaboot.

Has anyone got this to work yet?

--art