Re: YDL 2.0, cd-sound on Wallstreet

Subject: Re: YDL 2.0, cd-sound on Wallstreet
From: Soren N. Madsen (snm@mac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 15:46:18 MDT

To repeat the whole story:
1. After installation of the developer-package on my '98 Wallstreet, I
concluded that sound works but cd-playback didn't. The cd-player recognized
the cd and seemed to play -but not sound. Dan Burcaw sent me his mixer
settings -no difference.

2. Then I searched the archives (see below). Read that sound input on the
mac side need to be set to expansion bay. That brought me sound, but
terribly distorted. I did work the mixer heavily, but it made no
difference.

3. Just for the fun of it, I installed exactly the same way on a friends '99
Lombard. CD-playback just worked, absolutely no problems! (and sound was
set to internal modem on the mac side!) Noted that his mac side sound
output level was set to 50%.

4. Cranked my on Wallstreet down to 50% on the mac side, and what do you
know, now sound works great on the linux side.... Back to the mac side
increasing the sound level to 100%, everything still works... Go figure.
Right now I don't know how to get it wrong...

I don't know what is going on, perhaps exercise is a good thing after all...

The conclusion is that sound on both the Wallstreet and the Lombard
certainly can be made to work with YDL 2.0. However, on the Wallstreet you
might need to set the sound input source to "expansion bay", and exercising
the mac side volume might also make a difference.

Your mileage may vary!
/Soren

PS: The mixer settings that works for me, from the left:
    headphone: as you prefer (e.g. 50%)
    speakers: as you prefer (e.g. 50%)
    Line: 0%
    Mic: 0%
    CD: 100%
    PCM2: 0%
    RecMon: 0% (increase RecMon and the cd sound level will go down)
    Monitor 100%