Re: iBook won't boot

Subject: Re: iBook won't boot
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 18:01:42 MDT

On Thursday 07 June 2001 17:00, you wrote:
> I hate having to bother people in the list but I'm hoping for a
> miracle answer :). I just finished installing YDL 2.0, everything
> went ok and then the machine rebboted. At the "welcome to Yellow Dog
> Linux" screen it gives me the boot prompt. says it's loading the
> kernel and then says the image was not found, try again. I look into
> the firmware settings and it defines boot-device as hd:8,\\:tbxi
> -the partition where the boot loader is installed is /dev/hda8. Any ideas?

Doesn't Linux boot in two phases? First the bootloader is loading (from
/dev/hda8, then it looks for a kernel to load. The default kernel it is
trying to load is not there.

Try tab at the second boot prompt instead of letting it time out. If
everything's set up you should see at least one option. try them all.

If this doesn't work for you you'll have to boot an image from the cd and
then copy it to wherever the boot loader thinks it should be.

So the next question I have is, given a boot loader that really cannot find a
kernel, how do you re-point it to where you know there is a kernel?

Once you boot in with that kernel, how do you find out where the boot loader
thinks the kernel should be without looking at ybin's configuration file? Is
there a way to do that? Does the boot loader know how to do more than load
the kernel?

-Pat