Pismo XWindows Video...

Subject: Pismo XWindows Video...
From: theman (stickboy11@mac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 19:59:10 MDT

Hey, Guys...

I'm running Yellow Dog 1.2.1 on a 400 mhz Pismo... I have done a shitload of
configuration and downloading of rpms to get things working. I think I may
have forgotten to select a ton of packages or something on installation,
because I was missing everything from gcc to make, plus, I've had to create
many settings files from scratch... heh. And I haven't even seen a GUI yet!
Well, sorta...

When I startx, the computer loads into X, but there are little horizontal
lines all across the screen... and it's in 8 bit I think. When I click on
icons or the task menu, they behave very strangely, flickering the whole
screen when I drag them, leaving parts of windows all over and like smeared,
etc...

What the hell is wrong?

XF86 version is 3.3.6.. from like 1999... heh.. so I want to update it
maybe... but when I looked for a new PPC RPM, I didn't see any 4.x.x
versions... and I know that 4.x.x is out... I saw the source code for 4.x.x
but it's a very large download, maybe 50 megs.. heh, is that right?

Thanks.

-Alan Orth