Re: Replacement disc arrive - installed - but how to boot into Linux?

Subject: Re: Replacement disc arrive - installed - but how to boot into Linux?
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 20:58:39 MDT

> but I want this M/L thingy when I start up.
> How do I do an 'afterwards' install?
> Going to Open Firmware and telling it to hd:,\\yaboot didn't allow me
> to select MacOS ... Help ... I know my way around UNIX pretty well,
> but MacOS and it's boot sequence has me still puzzled a bit.

Have you tried to install and use the ybin package?

I had been using BootX until recently. I did a bit of reading about
configuring ybin (there's a readme.) and a yaboot.conf that serves for ybin.

I put ybin in a directory and expanded it out. thereafter I kept my
yaboot.conf in the ybin1.0 directory and copied it as needed to
/etc/yaboot.conf (a new install will overwrite it)

get yaboot.conf right in /etc and run ybin. You'd think there would be a
ybin.conf but there doesn't seem to be. yaboot.conf serves for ybin.

Here's mine:
macos=/dev/hda6
## Example yaboot.conf for ybin and yaboot >= 0.6
## see man yaboot.conf for more details.

## Change `unconfigured' to your bootstrap partition ie: /dev/hda2
boot=/dev/hda9

## device is the OpenFirmware device path to the disk containing
## kernel images. if your disk is /dev/hda you can find the
## OpenFirmware path by running the command: ofpath /dev/hda DO NOT
## specify a partition number for this! On IBM hardware you can
## generally comment this out.

device=hd:

## partition is the partition number where the kernel images are
## located. The kernel images should be on your root filesystem, so
## this is usually the same partition number as your root filesystem.
## so if root = /dev/hda3 (the 3rd partition) then you should have
## partition=3 This *MUST* be set correct or yaboot won't boot! This
## option can be either set globally as shown here, or per image in
## the image= sections

partition=10

## delay is the amount of time in seconds the dual boot menu (if one
## is configured, by the presense of macos, macosx, etc options here)
## will wait before choosing the default OS (GNU/Linux or the value of
## defaultos=).

delay=10

## timeout is the amount of time in tenths of a second that yaboot
## will wait before booting the default kernel image (the first image=
## section in this config file or the value of default=).

timeout=100
install=/usr/local/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/local/lib/yaboot/ofboot

## Comment out if you have a newworld compatible nvsetenv (ybin can
## likely detect the incompatible version) when commented out ybin
## will update the boot-device variable in OpenFirmware to the
## bootstrap partition. nonvram is required on IBM hardware.
## NOTE: if you are dual booting MacOS you MUST comment out nonvram or
## MacOS will fail to boot (you must also have an up to date nvsetenv).

##nonvram

## Change the default colors, fgcolor is the text color, bgcolor is
## the screen background color. (default: fgcolor=white, bgcolor=black)
#fgcolor=black
#bgcolor=green

## image is the kernel itself, commonly kept in / but also commonly
## found in /boot. Note that /boot should generally not be its own
## partition on powerpcs, its not necessary and complicates things.
## Make sure /boot is on the partition specified by partition= see
## above. /boot should never be an HFS filesystem. You may point
## image= to a symbolic link so long as the symlink does not cross
## partition boundries.
image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19-1i
        label=l2219i
        root=/dev/hda10