more yaboot help

Subject: more yaboot help
From: Sean Bittinger (bittin_s@denison.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 20:38:57 MDT

I've been reading up, playing around, and taking some advice and I'm no
farther with actually getting Yellow Dog to boot. I went through and
altered yaboot.conf some on the bootstrap volume. Next at the OF prompt
i type:

boot ultra1:7,\\:tbxi (i have the boot strap on the slave IDE drive on
the 7th partition)

Then i get ybin/yaboot screen. I type "l" for linux at which point i
get this error output:

request exceed total sectors
request exceed total sectors
request exceed total sectors
MAC-PARTS: bad partition
can't open config file '//yaboot.conf', err: -2
Welcome to yaboot version 1.1.1
boot:

If I hit tab i get the you can also type in custom image locations, in
the form (list's forms). When I try to type in a custom path I get the
same error initially, but after the MAC-PARTS: bad partition it says:

Image not found...try again
WARNING! default_close called !

So obviously there is still a problem. I would at first assume this to
be a bad install or something, but I've redone it like 4 times now with
no avail, and the same CDs installed on an iMac and it is working
without incident.

I have a second question, and that is, why does OF not remember the
boot? As is, I have to type the boot command each time i want to
attempt to use the boot strapped yaboot drive. Also a new problem has
arisen. If i tell it "M" for MacOS I get this error:

Booting MacOS... can't OPEN ultra1:,\\:tbxi (that's right, without a
part number)
   ok
0 >

Then it gives me the OF boot prompt, where i can specify the boot path
and MacOS will then boot. What am I doing wrong? Should I send my
yaboot.conf from the boot strap to make things more clear as to the
possible problem? Everything appears to be OK though, the root drive is
right (hdb9 on ultra1), but the kernel isn't loading, and OF isn't

-me

P.S. I apologize if this seems kind of lengthy.