Re: WELCOME to yellowdog-general-digest@lists.yellowdoglinux.com

Subject: Re: WELCOME to yellowdog-general-digest@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
From: Ken Simpson (ksimpson@optushome.com.au)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 06:18:59 MDT

Hi - having a problem on installing YDL 2.0 - anybody with any help -
mcuh appreciated.

Sytem - PM g4/500 256MB 27GB HDD, 15GB HDD
added an extra PCI 1-/100 network card from MacSense
and PCI SCSI card from Orange PC
ATI Rage Pro 128 graphics card (AGP)

27GB disk is partitioned - 10, 10, 7 all MacOS extended. 9.1
installed on the first partition

15 GB was intialised with Drive Setup to have 13GB unallocated and
2GB in a MacOS standard partition.
In the installer the 13GB unallocated was then allocated 10MB
bootloader, 256MB swap (/swap), 2GB root (/root), 4GB usr (/usr), and
the 2GB HFS disk mountpoint (/trnsfr). The remaining 5GB was left
unallocated.

Have installed twice now - first time wrecked up the video install
and it was unusable, so reinstalled and all went well - till the
reboot. Then XFree86 failed and I was dumped into the shell.

restarted and at the yaboot prompt, opted to boot MacOS and it just
sat there for 30' with just the single ellipsis and no more.

Managed to boot into MacOS using the option key for the open firmware
boot device - no probs.

However I have three questions.

1. Any ideas why XFree86 won't load? I am a newbie and I don't know
what to do next.
2. Why won't OS9.1 boot from yaboot? (where the heck is the yaboot.conf file?)
3. How can I REMOVE the of mods to go back to the standard one so the
family can use the computer simply if I can't get it all to work
proper-like.

Thanks

--
Regards