I Fixed it..... :) :) Realy stuck ....640x480 on a 21" Monitor

Subject: I Fixed it..... :) :) Realy stuck ....640x480 on a 21" Monitor
From: Adam Had'em (adamhadm@frontiernet.net)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 22:04:42 MDT

What the deal is...

1st of all thank you Patrick for pointing me in the right direction with
fbset.

I figured out it had to do with the kernel while booting up but what I
could not figure out. I tried compiling different kernels but after two
days and nothing changing it just had to be some thing else. I set the
proper info in the fb.base in the /etc directory but the frame buffer
was not accessing the info. I had also tried older kernels and they
started up in a higher mode that the standard one which came with yd
2.0. With this new info I thought of just trying for the luck of it,
installing the 2.4.4 kernel.... The same thing happened after I
compiled the 2.4.4 kernel. As I was customizing my 2nd attempt of
compiling the 2.4.4 kernel I found some docs in the kernel directory
.Documentation/fb about the atyfb.text and the other file evades me at
the moment but the atyfb.text has the name of the other text file.

The answer had to do with the append in the yaboot. I have tried many
different appends during my kernel compiles but NONE of them worked to
the direction I was looking... To use my 21" monitor I had to:

1. put the correct info in the /etc/fb.base
        I deleted all of the garbage resolutions and put my correct one in
its place

2. make sure the kernel is compiled to use rage 128

3. append the kernel in the yaboot.conf file

        append="video=aty128fb:1600x1200"

with out the aty128fb:xx x xx the fb defaults to the 640x480 setting
which was the problem all along...

that is it.

the 1600x1200 can be any resolution connected to the database...

I read all over the place.. man pages, books (including a trip to Barns
and Noble to look at the linux books - not a big selection as I had
thought), internet, phone calls, mailing lists, and 3 full days of
working on the problem (actually I have been trying this since yd 1.2
came out stuck on another res.)...

I hope this helps any one in the future so they would not have to loose
as much hair.

-Adam