Re: I Fixed it..... :) :) Realy stuck ....640x480 on a 21" Monitor

Subject: Re: I Fixed it..... :) :) Realy stuck ....640x480 on a 21" Monitor
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 06:26:43 MDT

Adam,

It looks like you've developed a wealth of information about how video works
on Linux in general and on YDL in particular.

The major elements that play a role in Linux video while you are viewing a
screen in X as I understand them are:

The monitor hardware and its hardware modes, settings and adjustments
The video card, its settings and its memory
The video driver program and its modes and settings
The X window system, the X display and its settings.
fbset
X applications
Pam
The Linux console
The Linux kernel

Where does the framebuffer fit in? What else is missing.

I think getting X to work the way you want it to is a bit like coaching a
ball game. You have to get the right combination of players on the field.
You've got a whole roster to choose from: Various XFree86 versions, several
drivers, many video cards and monitors. Its quite a diverse team.

So what players do we have to choose from and once chosen how do we set them
up? Who's on first?

Is there a single document that ties all this stuff together in a general way?

-Pat

P.S.

This topic is very complex and interesting. I think a diagram would help me
understand this better.
Here's an e-mail that just came in yesterday about a diagramming program.

Sketch 0.6.11 - A vector drawing program