YLD 2.0 Installation Impossible?

Subject: YLD 2.0 Installation Impossible?
From: Rick Sheridan (thunder@ccountry.net)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 09:57:24 MDT

After literally dozens of installation attempts, I am stumped.

UMAX C600, Sonnet Crescendo G3 / L2 300 Upgrade, 144MB RAM, IXMicro 8M video
card, ADB Extended keyboard, and USB Kensington Optical mouse. Mac OS 8.6 (
I tried OS 9.1 reluctantly at one point. The earlier Linux/PPC's and OS 9.1
on my machine do not work.)

I have previously installed 'LinuxPPC 1999Q4', ',YLD Champion Server 1.2',
'LinuxPPC 2000', and LinuxPPC 2000Q4'. All have their little qwerks, but I
never had a complete failure to install.

Using the YLD 2.0 CD: Unable to get a useable video output. Selecting 'No
Video Driver' alone presents multiple columns (unreadable) of boot messages.
Adding video settings to the kernel arguments command line gets closer. At
best when the ramdisk images start loading the display has the first 2 to 4
columns of characters (depending on the vmode and cmode settings) on the
right edge of the screen. The text is also subdued. I have changed
resolution and depth in Mac OS numerous times, and tried various appropriate
settings in BootX. I found that I needed to have media loaded into my
Yamaha SCSI CDRW or else the system stalled during SCSI detection. I have
gotten to the license agreement only to find the keyboard would not work.

The YLD 2.0 CD is apparently a good one. I checked it using the method
posted by Bill Fink on Sat 6-9.

I tried the following variations: I built a 2.2.19 kernel from the source
on the YLD 2.0 CD using my config file. Video worked, but the keyboard
still didn't.

Tried earlier kernels with no more, usually less, success.

Tried using 'BootX 1.2b3', also with different kernel configurations, also
with varying degress of progress, all ending at the license agreement. I
tried this version of BootX because earlier versions of Linux/PPC would not
work with version 1.2.2.

-- Rick