Re: YDL 2.0 OldWorld Install Issues Postmortem

Subject: Re: YDL 2.0 OldWorld Install Issues Postmortem
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 08:38:50 MDT

> Inital Booting
> Well I had troubles, like I said before teh kernel booted the machine just
> fine but once it got to the ramdisk, that was the first of the show
> stoppers, I can't remember the error off hand but I could reproduce it if
> anyone is interested. But the boot process stopped becuase it couldn't
> read the ramdisk image compressed. I had to boot back into MacOS and
> uncompress the ramdisk (this was the x11 ramdisk BTW) and rebooted and
> selected the uncompresed ramdisk and it booted into the installer just

Umm. What do you mean it couldn't read the ramdisk image compressed?
Is this a BootX problem, or a Linux kernel error?

> After that I wanted to take care of cleaning off all the old partitions
> before I did a general install. I chose customer and went into the drive
> partitioning and did all that set up my partitions how I wanted them and
> such. went back into the install profile chose default and it hoased up

/boot is NOT a bootstrap partition under YDL.
LinuxPPC makes /boot an HFS yaboot partition. This is wrong.
Our "bootstrap" partition is not to be mounted under the Linux
filesystem as /boot

> Overall
> I am a bit upset that there wasn't a way to have the CD's bootable on
> OldWorld hardware. LinuxPPC does this with 2000Q4 it doesn't seem like it
> would have been that difficult to include. That along with the other
> issues I have I am thinking OldWorld users got left by the wayside on
> this release. So this was supposed to revitalize old hardware, bring out
> those old 603 and 604 machines, buy the CD's and find out that you'd not
> be able to use them without work that is not covered in the Guide. Anyway

To make CDs bootable on Old World machines our CDs would have to be
a pure HFS format. We refuse to be tied to special MacOS hardware
to create our masters, plus, HFS chops off long file names which is
not ideal for a Linux installer.

> I digress with that, I'm not trying to say YDL is bad, just the ramdisk
> included. The installer seemd pretty beta to me, not being able to handle
> installing over already installed packages,. why even ask the question if
> the pacakge is already there or not, it's doing the installation, write
> over, I'm sure the wait is worth actually getting through the install.
> I would have to say, that through out the whole install, I was able to
> work through all the problems, but the biggest shocker was the lack of
> SCSI device nodes on the rescue CD, making it nearly worthless as a rescue
> CD to anyone with hardware they want to revitialize most of those systems
> are all SCSI systems.

I will take a peek at this one..

> I was a little upset that the XFree86 install came
> with a bad rage128 driver, I am missing the accelerated video. I'm
> definitely looking forward to seeing YDL 2.0 release in yup to update
> XFree86 with somethng that includes working rrage128 support. I have to

the r128 driver works. What problems are you having?
You might run through the info we have at:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/nox.shtml

Anyway, suffice it to say, we've seen none of your issues on the vast
array of hardware we have tested on. Perhaps you have one
of the flakey install CDs. Also, please verify that you haven't
mounted your bootloader partition as /boot.

--

Regards, Dan Burcaw Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.