Re: YDL 2.0 OldWorld Install Issues Postmortem

Subject: Re: YDL 2.0 OldWorld Install Issues Postmortem
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 10:11:04 MDT

on 11/6/01 3:38 pm, Dan Burcaw at dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

>> I was a little upset that the XFree86 install came
>> with a bad rage128 driver, I am missing the accelerated video. I'm
>> definitely looking forward to seeing YDL 2.0 release in yup to update
>> XFree86 with somethng that includes working rrage128 support. I have to
>
> the r128 driver works. What problems are you having?
> You might run through the info we have at:
> http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/nox.shtml
>
> Anyway, suffice it to say, we've seen none of your issues on the vast
> array of hardware we have tested on. Perhaps you have one
> of the flakey install CDs. Also, please verify that you haven't
> mounted your bootloader partition as /boot.

r128 probably works on a clean install - it most certainly didn't work for
me on a package upgrade. It also didn't work on a self-build XFree86 4.1.

The config file requirements changed from XFree86 4.01 hence XF86Config
that's OK for that version may fail with the XFree86 from YDL2 (or later).
Re-running Xautoconfig4 is essential after a package upgrade. This, of
course, may cause other difficulties ....

  Iain