Re: G3 optimization question...

Subject: Re: G3 optimization question...
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 12:29:48 MDT

On Tuesday 12 June 2001 11:13, you wrote:
> Hey y'all,
>
> I just read the Mandrak Linux's beta version of Linux for PPC is "G3
> Optimized." Is that possible? Has the gcc compliler or glibc library been
> tweaked to fly on the 750 chips?

I've VERY skeptical. I'd like to see some numbers.
History has shown that the toolchain (gcc, glibc, etc.) is very un-tuned
for the PowerPC platform. I think Mandrake is just trying to do the
same marketing stuff they did when they came out for x86.

"We're 15% faster... buy us!"

I'd just suggest taking it with a grain of salt... (unless they can backup
their claims ;)

--

Regards, Dan Burcaw Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.