Re: package choice question...

Subject: Re: package choice question...
christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 15:10:53 MDT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Dave Comeau wrote:
>I would like to have
>
>Apache
>PHP 4
>Mysql
>Telnet
>FTP
>
>running on a local development box, so securtiy is not an issue. I was
>just wondering what would be the best package to install to get the
>above running?

Select the Internet Server or the LAN/WAN package, although there is no
mention of PHP in the install guide. PHP is pretty easy to install though,
if it isn't there, and you're having problems installing it, let me know.

>Or better yet, has anyone seen a list of exactly what is installed with
>each install package? I've looked all over the ydl site and found
>nothing.

 Check the install guide. It is not *super* precise, but pretty good
ball-park info. The install guide comes with the YDL CDs. Please buy them
if you haven't, more $$ to Terra Soft means more (good) support for PPC.

>Another quick question, on Linuxppc 2000, when I opened my network browser
>on the G4 connected to the linux box, I could log into my user folder and
>have a nice folder right on my OS9 desktop that let me access my linux
>folders directly. Does anyone know what I need running on the linux side to
>make this work?

 Netatalk. This is installed in the Internet Server and the LAN/WAN Server
packages.

>I never gave it much thought until I noticed this didn't work with the
>ydl 2.0 internet server package.

 Hrm... I've gotten Netatalk running on my test machine with YDL 2.0. I
installed the 'everything' package as I was feeling greedy. :-) It shows
up in the chooser without any problems on my LAN, and I suspect I can
connect over TCP/IP as well (although I haven't tried it). You might need
to double check that you asked Netatalk to run at startup.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada