SOLVED MOL Crash (was: ReiserFS + MOL = Crash)

Subject: SOLVED MOL Crash (was: ReiserFS + MOL = Crash)
From: Andrei Verovski (andrei.verovski@parks.lv)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 15:00:27 MDT

Hi,

Finally, I solved really strange problem when MOL crashed if Linux
partition formatted as ReiserFS volume. Although main is currently
reformatted to ext2, the same problem did exists there, too, for some
time. I am 95% sure ReiserFS was not a culprit (I will try ReiserFS/MOL
this weekend anyway).

The problem actually was that MOL has one of this kind of bug:

a) parsing molrc;
b) logical evaluation of hardware/configuration info (the most common is
a typo like & instead of &&);
c) using link to or temp copy of outdated molrc. I found one old copy of
molrc in /usr/etc, although this file should be only in /etc.

Solution: if you have hard MOL crash, and until this issue will be
clarified and solved completely, I recommend manually remove all MOL
files from /etc and /usr/lib/mol, and do ONLY MINIMAL changes in molrc.

At least, it worked in my case, I have compiled MOL 0.9.58-1 and 0.9.59,
with glibc 2.2 and 2.2.17, and all the time MOL worked fine in both
console and X mode.

* Best Regards --- Andrei Verovski *
* e-mail --- andrei.verovski@bigfoot.com *
* *