Thanks for the pointers

Subject: Thanks for the pointers
From: Jose Luis Paredes (jose.paredes@yale.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 14:53:47 MDT

        After hacking at the machine all day to figure out my issues
I decide that someone may benefit from my frustrations :). To make
the Authentication service name to work under xinitd so that I can
run xchat I had to create an file in /etc/xinitd.d that reads as
follow:

# default: off
service auth
{
        flags = nowait
        socket_type = stream
        protocol = tcp
        wait = no
        user = nobody
        server = /usr/sbin/in.identd
        server_args = in.indentd -l -o -e
        disable = no
}

this file is essentially the lines that were added to the old
inetd.conf to make it work.

        My second issue of the day was figuring out why my atalk was
not starting it's deamon. It turns out I was setting up the name of
the server as "My YDL Server" and when you run the script it does not
like blank spaces. Since I wanted to insert spaces this is what I did

# Appletalk configuration
# Change this to increase the maximum number of clients that can connect:
AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=5
#
# Change this to set the machine's atalk name:
ATALK_NAME="My\ YDL\ Server"
#
# Set which daemons to run:
PAPD_RUN=yes
AFPD_RUN=yes
#
# Control whether the daemons are started in the background
ATALK_BGROUND=yes

         Next project is setting up kerberos and who knows what else.