Side note on file system on OS X to be like Linux

Subject: Side note on file system on OS X to be like Linux
From: Adam Done (adamhadm@frontiernet.net)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 20:29:11 MDT

I have to use both Linux and OS X (OS X for the palethra of High End
Digital Imaging software/support/and drivers) so I thought of creating a
system like my linux which I do love.

I have created mutilpal partitions just like linux for various functions
and mounted them with fstab and clarified it with the rc file but still
have a large dismay. The Finder still wants to mount the disks in the
"Computer". I like linux when you can mount many partitions and the
user would not know if they are mounted except by moving files from one
to another and notice the differences in speed.

The issue: get the mounted partitions from fstab not to be mounted in
the Finder.

I have taken care of the issue with the volumes dir '.vol' and 'Volumes'
but the mounted files system still shows up in the 'Computer' when one
selects 'go Computer'.

I have gone to many different book stores and could not find books on
Darwin OS and found one on FreeBSD. Apple Tech. support will not
support the issue because it is to advanced. nothing yet this in depth
on web sites and the dev. section does not have any thing on this yet.
I hope I did not miss any thing but I have pored over and over the OS X
OS and have racked my brains out totally and found nothing.

Why, one would ask, am I wanting to do this? It started out liking the
Linux files system and having to reinstall OS X a couple of times and
having to reconfigure every thing. It was just wasting my time.

OS X installed is using the UFS system.

Would any one have any clues? If any one can help me with this before
the funny farm wagon comes to take me away, hee, ho, ho, would be
ausome....

The best thing would be to run OS X under Linux with out much
performance difference. Oh, well..

Thanks,

-Adam Done

ps. This is posted on Yellow Dog and LinuxPPC