Bad Keyboard Mapping

Subject: Bad Keyboard Mapping
From: Rob Brandt (rbrandt@sbdsl.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 12:44:23 MDT

Hi. Newbie Alert. Make that Stubborn, Bullheaded Newbie Alert. :')

Stubborn and bullheaded because I'm trying to install YDL 2.0 on my
Performa 6116CD. Yes, I know it's not supported but I had YDL 1.2
running on it and that's not supposed to be supported either. I used
a kernel from the Mac-Nubus-Linux sourceforge site at
http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/ following installation
instructions posted at
http://www.infernosoft.com/beowoof/installingLinux.html. I need to
upgrade to YDL 2.0 for the glibc 2.2 stuff.

So anyway, I used the above YDL 1.2 instructions to try to install
YDL 2.0, and it actually made it all the way through the text based
installer. Linux boots and is ready for login. I can even browse to
the Apache Test Page from another computer. I have two problems:

1) The keyboard mapping is all screwed up. I don't know how to fix
this; remember I'm a Newbie. I'm using a genuine Apple extended
keyboard connected through the ADB port. I don't know which keyboard
YDL *thinks* I'm using, but I have determined that the "8" character
on my keyboard triggers an "Enter", FHIW. How do I fix this?

2) The installer sees the original internal Apple CD-Rom, but could
not mount the installer CD. I disconnected it and attached an old
external cd drive and it worked, but I need the external elsewhere so
that's not a long term solution. How do I resolve the CD problem?

Any help, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I
promise I will document my success and post it for others to follow -
you can all resurrect your nubus doorstops and put them to use.

TIA

Rob