I give up

Subject: I give up
From: Rick Sheridan (thunder@ccountry.net)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 07:26:10 MDT

It appears to me that my UMAX C600 will not work (well or at all) with YLD
2.0. I am unable to get support. Every step I've taken to get YLD 2.0
installed as presented new problems.

I was very much looking forward to YLD 2.0, because I really like Champion
Server 1.2. I installed LinuxPPC 2000Q4 to make better use of new usb
devices, while waiting anxiously for the latest YellowDog.

Finally get video working by compiling a new kernel, then the keyboard won't
work. Looks to be a problem with the input layer. Build new kernels with
the 2.2.19-1i source to find the sound modules appear to have been changed
and now longer work.

It is a bit disturbing that many things which worked well previously have
been left behind, or modified specifically for YLD on new Mac's. The
alternatives I see are three fold:

1) Continue to experiment with compiling kernels and modifying ramdisk
images to fix the problems.

2) Install individual packages on top of LinuxPPC 2000Q4, then fixing what
gets broken in this process.

3) Wat for an update to 'Yup' to update to 2.0 from 1.2. This will require
a kernel upgrade before it can be accomplished, and that has already proven
to be problematic.

As a moderately skilled and self taught hacker of sorts, these alternatives
are far too time consuming to be of use. Shouldn't have to reinvent the
wheel.

-- Rick