Newbie questions

Subject: Newbie questions
From: Carolyn Jean Fairman (cfairman@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 13:35:00 MDT

Here's a break from talking about 2.0 if anyone would pleas help.

I changed the hostname and that all seemed to work except that I don't
really know where I am -- I use DSL and get some random IP address.
So if my machine is now named stavia what is the complete address of
it should I want to ping it? Does the text name not resolve since I
don't own the domain the map to the IP address?

I am using Roaring Penguin's pppoe, so can I get the HOSTIP or
something set to what IP they give me?

Second question is how to get ssh to work -- everything goes fine
until I get allocated a local port and then it hangs.

This is what I see:

[cfairman@stavia cfairman]: ssh -v elaine32.stanford.edu
OpenSSH_2.5.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090600f
debug: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 501 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to elaine32.stanford.edu [171.64.15.107] prt 22.
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Allocated local port 746.

The ssh_config file has

# Host *
# ForwardAgent yes
        Forward X11 yes
        PasswordAuthentication yes
        FallBackToRsh no
        CheckHostIP yes
        Port 22
        Cipher blowfish

Any clues are appreciated. I wanted to try sshing to myself but,
well, I don't know what to put in.

--Carolyn