yi (among other things)

Subject: yi (among other things)
From: Pat Plummer (ppat@micron.net)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 14:50:48 MDT

Is there a place where I can get some information on yi -- how it works etc?

I ran yup yesterday and it upgraded my 2.2.19 kernel and associated files,
but also updated yi. I'll be darned if I can figure how yi should be run
since I seem to not be able to boot from the 2.0 installer CD now that I have
installed the system. There does not seem to be an executable yi installed
anywhere on my hard drive, although I can find many files in /usr/lib/yi that
yi presumably uses.

One thing I also noted -- yup seems to be much slower than previous versions.
Now, admittedly this could have been due to a slow link, but I ended up
downloading the files using a browser into the /var/cache/yup/packages
directory and then using yup to update using the cached files instead as this
was faster than trying to use yup to do the download and the install.

Also, I still have a problem with the background showing up when using kdm
(or any login manager). I still have the gray X-type grid background -- no
matter what I set for the background in the kde control center. This
apparently is a known problem, but cannot figure a workaround for it.
Xsetup_0 (and also kdmrc) apparently is not getting read by kdmdesktop so the
background never gets set correctly. What's interesting is that I can see the
background I set for just a moment after login, but before kde goes through
its initialization. It's almost as if these things are getting set, but is
getting overriden by something in X to set the background to the gray grid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the kernel update seems faster...

Thanks for listening : )...

Pat