Re: Newbie questions

Subject: Re: Newbie questions
From: Paul J. Lucas (pauljlucas@mac.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 14:57:08 MDT

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Carolyn Jean Fairman wrote:

> I changed the hostname and that all seemed to work except that I don't really
> know where I am -- I use DSL and get some random IP address. So if my
> machine is now named stavia what is the complete address of it should I want
> to ping it?

        From the outside? You can't because (a) you don't have a
        static IP address and (b) you don't have your machine's name in
        DNS. (You can sort-of solve (a) via dynamic DNS, but without
        (b) it's pointless.)

> Does the text name not resolve since I don't own the domain the map to the IP
> address?

        Who owns the domain is irrelevant. In your case, you don't have
        a name at all.

> I am using Roaring Penguin's pppoe, so can I get the HOSTIP or something set
> to what IP they give me?

        You want a name, not an IP. Changes are, you won't want the
        name you get.

> Second question is how to get ssh to work -- everything goes fine until I get
> allocated a local port and then it hangs.

        Try just waiting like 2-3 minutes. The server is probably
        trying to do reverse DNS on you and it can't since you're not
        in reverse DNS. It will eventually time out.

        - Paul