RE: Newbie questions

Subject: RE: Newbie questions
From: Ruprecht, Chris (cruprech@compucom.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 14:57:47 MDT

Carolyn,

your machine is not listed in any DNS table with the name
'stavia.<isp-domain>'. The only way to ping it from the outside world
would be by IP address or, if the isp has pre-assigned names for all IP
addresses they hand out.
Since you do not have a static address, you can not assign your own
host/domain name to your machine. This only works with static addresses
since the domain name tables get edited 'by hand' (more or less) and
keeping this updated is a pain. Your ISP would need to do that, it's
nothing you can do about it.

Best regards,
Chris