Re: Newbie questions

Subject: Re: Newbie questions
From: Carolyn Jean Fairman (cfairman@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 16:45:57 MDT

Chris,

Thanks. Should I change all the HOST name stuff back to localhost?

If I understand you correctly though, should I get a fixed IP I can
give my machine a more interesting name than "localhost"?

--Carolyn

   Carolyn,

   your machine is not listed in any DNS table with the name
   'stavia.<isp-domain>'. The only way to ping it from the outside world
   would be by IP address or, if the isp has pre-assigned names for all IP
   addresses they hand out.
   Since you do not have a static address, you can not assign your own
   host/domain name to your machine. This only works with static addresses
   since the domain name tables get edited 'by hand' (more or less) and
   keeping this updated is a pain. Your ISP would need to do that, it's
   nothing you can do about it.

   Best regards,
   Chris