Re: I give up

Subject: Re: I give up
From: Andrei Verovski (andrei.verovski@parks.lv)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 04:02:43 MDT

Hi, Rick,

UMAX C600 was built on the basis of Performa or Tanzania motherboard, I
did not remembered exactly. My past experience with UMAX clones (I am was
in distribution business of this hardware) showed that UMAX clones always
suffered from some strange artifacts. BTW, C600 is really old, and cries
for replacement. If you still want to keep C600, try SuSE or Mandrake,
may be one of them will work for you.

>It appears to me that my UMAX C600 will not work (well or at all) with YLD
>2.0. I am unable to get support. Every step I've taken to get YLD 2.0
>installed as presented new problems.
>
>I was very much looking forward to YLD 2.0, because I really like Champion
>Server 1.2. I installed LinuxPPC 2000Q4 to make better use of new usb
>devices, while waiting anxiously for the latest YellowDog.
>
>Finally get video working by compiling a new kernel, then the keyboard won't
>work. Looks to be a problem with the input layer. Build new kernels with
>the 2.2.19-1i source to find the sound modules appear to have been changed
>and now longer work.
>
>It is a bit disturbing that many things which worked well previously have
>been left behind, or modified specifically for YLD on new Mac's. The
>alternatives I see are three fold:
>
>1) Continue to experiment with compiling kernels and modifying ramdisk
>images to fix the problems.
>
>2) Install individual packages on top of LinuxPPC 2000Q4, then fixing what
>gets broken in this process.
>
>3) Wat for an update to 'Yup' to update to 2.0 from 1.2. This will require
>a kernel upgrade before it can be accomplished, and that has already proven
>to be problematic.
>
>As a moderately skilled and self taught hacker of sorts, these alternatives
>are far too time consuming to be of use. Shouldn't have to reinvent the
>wheel.
>
>-- Rick

* Best Regards --- Andrei Verovski *
* e-mail --- andrei.verovski@bigfoot.com *