Re: I give up

Subject: Re: I give up
From: Rick Sheridan (thunder@ccountry.net)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 07:16:16 MDT

Original video problem with the YDL 2.0 installer:
Macintosh video settings: 1280X1024, 85Hz, 'Millions of Colors'
Selected either the 'GUI' or 'Text' Ramdisk images.
Selected 'No Video Driver' in BootX.
More kernel arguments: 'video=atyfb'

The result displayed approximately a dozen or more tiny, unreadable boot
messages at the top of the screen. I attempted a number of setting changes:
More kernel arguments: 'video=atyfb:vmode:20.cmode:32'. I rebooted to Mac
OS numerous times and changed the monitor settings, then changed the 'vmode'
and 'cmode' settings appropriately. I also attempted using 'vmode' settings
only, and one attempt from a recommendation I tried "video=fbdev:vmode:14"
with little or no effective difference. The only visible difference was in
the size and number of "boot" screens displayed.

The next step was to change to an earlier version of BootX. I installed v
1.2b3. I did this because v 1.2.3 from the YDL 2.0 CD would hang and not
boot my LinuxPPC 2000Q4. I then followed essentially the same process
described above (had to manually change the 'ramdisk size' each attempt),
with varied results. The best I achieved was a full screen boot message,
but 2 to 4 of the first columns of characters were on the right side of the
screen, and the display was very subdued. After a long wait through a
series of "hda: interrupt lost" messages, the license agreement would
display, also subdued and slightly garbled, but the keyboard and mouse would
not work.

I then tried using the installer kernel from LinuxPPC, 2.2.18-4hpmac and
'video=atyfb'. The video display was perfect, but the long wait through
'lost interrupts' and no keyboard/mouse remained the same.

I compiled a couple of kernels from the 2.2.19-1i source and header files on
the YLD CD's, using the included config file and then my custom config.
Attempted a number of installations as above. Good video display, varied
'interrupts' depending on the kernel used, but again no keyboard or mouse.

BTW, when I attempt to boot LinuxPPC 2000Q4 with the kernel from YDL 2.0 CD,
I get the same video results first described. Using one of my recompiled
2.2.19-1i kernels works great, but the sound no longer works. Matter of
fact, the 2.2.19-1i kernel boots much faster the my customized
2.2.18-4hpmac. I must use BootX 1.2.2 or earlier, though. The v 1.2.3 from
the YDL 2.0 installer hangs.

Didn't mean to imply that anything was "broken". Just trying to compile a
a compatible kernel for my computer and the YLD installer, and finding
results that leave me unsure where to start.

-- Rick