Re: Newbie questions

Subject: Re: Newbie questions
From: Jamin "W." Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 13:16:39 MDT

On 16 Jun 2001 11:57:47 -0700, Carolyn Jean Fairman wrote:
> So why can't I ping that address once I telnet into somewhere else?
> Do you know what configuration I need? I assumed ping always worked
> and you would get so-and-so is alive if they didn't want to give out
> info. But the ping gets no response at all.

There are various different reasons that you may not be able to ping
that address once connected elsewhere. Most likely, it is due to filter
of some nature somewhere along the way. It is possible to accept a
TCP/UDP/ICMP packet and then not respond in any way to the packet (thus
creating a situation similiar to what you are seeing). This is actually
a common practice for some firewalls. This way, they don't even
announce the presence of the system (many call this Stealth mode). I'm
not sure if your system has an ipchains or iptables firewall active by
default. I would suggest something of this nature if one does not
currently exist on your machine. If you would like further information
on this, please feel free to contact me directly or via this list.

Jamin W. Collins