Re: I give up

Subject: Re: I give up
From: Hollis (hollis-lists@austin.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 22:38:17 MDT

On Sunday 17 June 2001 00:00, you wrote:

> Original video problem with the YDL 2.0 installer:
> Macintosh video settings: 1280X1024, 85Hz, 'Millions of Colors'
> Selected either the 'GUI' or 'Text' Ramdisk images.
> Selected 'No Video Driver' in BootX.
> More kernel arguments: 'video=atyfb'

Did you try de-selecting "no video driver"? This setting overrides all other
video settings, and forces Linux to use a slow and featureless driver that
nonetheless will almost always work. I have heard that there is still a
problem with a specific Mach64 chipset that appeared in the 4400 and clones;
I do not know if this is the hardware you're using.

I have no idea how earlier versions of BootX could affect your video
problems, nor have I seen those "lost interrupt" problems on Old World
machines such as yours. Perhaps you were trying to use the BootX application
(rather than the extension) which can suffer from the Mac OS not shutting
devices down completely. BootX users should always use the extension.

Regarding your specific kernel problems:
- enable the input layer (in 2.2 this is set as a USB option, but you need
not compile USB drivers to use it). /etc/sysctl.conf has already been set up
to take advantage of this feature; disabling it will render your keymaps
useless.
- use the dmasound_pmac module as your sound driver. Your /etc/modules.conf
has already been configured correctly by the installer for this module.
Trying to use a kernel without the recent dmasound patches applied will
result in sound not working.

Good luck!

-Hollis