Re: Thoughts on YDL 2.0

Subject: Re: Thoughts on YDL 2.0
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 11:12:23 MDT

> * The installer looks nice, but I liked that that old installer had the
> option to do a package by package review before install. I don't want
> Mozilla, Netscape, pine, pico, mpg123 and a few other things to load. Some
> for performance reasons, some for license reasons, some because I will
> never use them. Did I miss something in how to get the new installer to do
> this?

We turned off this function for release as it was not quite working perfectly.
Expect it to be back sometime in the near future.

> * Question: is there something about kernel 2.4.4 that is undesirable that
> it isn't loaded straight away? How about putting an option for kernel
> flavor in the install? I didn't have any trouble (that I know of at this
> time) installing it from the RPMs on Tasty Morsels, but I was left
> wondering why I needed to do this.

Well, the way our rpm backend works (yup) this would (putting both
kernels on the same cd) have presented an interesting challenge.
I guess the thinking was.. 1) 2.4 isn't really ready on PPC anyway
2) why go through the effort of making it an install-time option
when in the next release will probably just ship one kernel anyway
(2.4 as 2.2 will be quite obsolete by then)

> * I like KDE as the default desktop when you first install, login as a
> user, and "startx". The K menu is a bit hairy, but that's the nature of the
> beast I guess. I didn't see Kaim installed by default, although gaim is in
> there. Suggestion to add that to the default packages or get it on the
> menu, if I didn't simply overlook it.

Ya, it is a bit hairy. I think debian has the best X-desktop menu system
out there.. you always get the same stuff no matter what desktop
you're in.. we'll be looking at options for a future release. I'd like a
less-hairy menu too :-)

> * Ogg Vorbis with XMMS didn't seem to work until I manually installed
> libogg and libvorbis dev packages, then recompiled XMMS from the source
> (having removed mpg123 and trying to get away from mp3 in general for
> license and patent reasons). Rebuilding XMMS was problem-free, so I humbly
> suggest including Ogg Vorbis support out of the box.

Whoops. Thanks for noticing this oversight.

> And really, that's it. I'm aware that the things I mention are pretty
> picky. so just let me reiterate that YDL 2 is excellent and I'm looking
> forward to another enjoyable year with that iMac. Thanks again TSS!

Thank you! :-)

--

Regards, Dan Burcaw Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.