Re: yellowdog-general Digest 18 Jun 2001 00:33:26 -0000 Issue 425

Subject: Re: yellowdog-general Digest 18 Jun 2001 00:33:26 -0000 Issue 425
From: David C. Hacker, DVM (dh55145@alltel.net)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 14:12:33 MDT

BootX also alows the Mac OS to set some of the hardware to undesireable
settings before it boots Linux. If you put the install CD in and hit tab at
the yaboot prompt you can type cd-linux root=/dev/hdaX or whatever your root
is. Then when you get into linux at the console type ybin -v and if you have
the boot partition set up already it will copy all of the files there for you
and next boot will give you a tri-boot menu. Linux Mac and CD Hope this
helps a little

On Monday 18 June 2001 10:08 am, you wrote:
> :::lurk mode off:::
>
> hello!
>
> just had to chime in on this one 'cause I've often wondered the same thing.
> When I last had a Linux system running on a b&w G3, I was running YDL 1.2.1
> and using the last revision of BootX to boot it, and never had a problem.
> In fact, I never had any luck getting yaboot to work at all. Now that I am
> reworking a G4/AGP box so I can dual boot the thing with 2.0 (which I am
> still waiting to pick up 'cause you all are having so many problems with it
> - not to knock Dan and the others but I am still not feeling good enough
> about the new version yet to install it) I wanna know, why shouldn't I
> continue as I had before with BootX 1.3.whatever? or for that matter why
> not rewrite BootX to suit the newer machines? personally I like it more...
>
> just my 2 cents...
>
> Bill Fredericksen
>
> From: yellowdog-general-digest-help@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
> Date: 18 Jun 2001 00:33:26 -0000
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
> Subject: yellowdog-general Digest 18 Jun 2001 00:33:26 -0000 Issue 425
>
> > Hi. I'm running a rev 2 G3 with YDL 2 installed on a slave 30GB IDE
> > drive. The installation went smoothly except the yaboot.conf file was not
> > correctly generated. This seems to be the same problem reported by Sean
>
> Bittinger on
>
> > 2001.06.08 under the title, 'yaboot help'. Yaboot complains it can't find
> > the kernel.
> >
> > Following my natural instinct (being a shoot-from-the-hip type of dude
> > sometimes) I hastily installed bootX and to my (semi-)surprise everything
>
> works fine now and
>
> > I start YDL with the bootX extension. But this is a new world rom system
> > so
>
> this
>
> > shouldn't work, right?. That it works at all was only a mild surprise; I
> > had
>
> the same
>
> > experience on this particular machine with YDL 1.2.1 when I first
> > installed it
>
> too.

David C. Hacker, DVM
923 B St. #32