Re: Getting Online! (Me too)

Subject: Re: Getting Online! (Me too)
From: Carolyn Jean Fairman (cfairman@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 22:50:27 MDT

Did you run adsl-setup? This does most of what you need for
setup. Then try adsl-start and see if you get a connection. I put this
in /etc/rc.local so it ran everytime. Try it as root first and if this
works but it doesn't as a user you have to check permissions on
/etc/resolv.conf (644 I think and owned by root).

Everything was fine for me after that but now I went out and got a
router!

I figured static IP is easiest so I set the mac to 192.168.0.50
(ifconfig eth0) where the router came as 192.168.0.1 and I edited the
hosts file to have the pacbell DSL nameserver's IP addresses (and then
the line stavia 192.168.0.50).

I'm now stuck about the router. What the heck do I do with it? Don't
I have to tell the system its IP address or that it is there? How do
I do that? What does it want from me? :)

Pinging myself to the 192.168.0.50 address works but when I try
outside I get a network error.

--Carolyn

PS odd thing, when I run startx I see

hostname hostname lookup failure