Re: I give up

Subject: Re: I give up
From: Rick Sheridan (thunder@ccountry.net)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 06:13:03 MDT

I've compiled a kernel that gets me to the installer, but now I have run
into another problem. Identical to a recent message from Chris & Lockey
Krieger: "The partition's data region doesn't occupy the entire
partition."

"All goes well until I get to the "edit partitions" step in the install. At
this point, I get: Error: The partition's data region doesn't occupy the
entire partition."

I have run into exactly the same problem! Last night I completely
re-formatted my drive(s). I tried Apples 'Drive Setup', FWB's 'HD Toolkit',
and finally 'Silverlining'. I have 2 SCSI drives and 1 IDE/ATAPI drive.
Same results. I have tried formatting the intended Linux drive or partition
(tried both methods) as 'Free', and I have tried partitioning with 'Pdisk'
and 'LinuxPPC 2000Q4' installer. YDL 1.2 and LinuxPPC 2000Q4 have no
problem installing.

YDL 2.0 doesn't want to install on my machine. UMAX C600 w/ Sonnet G3
300/1MB Crescendo, Quantum Viking 2.2GB SCSI, WD Enterprise 4GB SCSI, and WD
15 GB ATA.

It seems there are similar difficulties with installing on Old World Mac's
and clones, with 'Alchemy' and 'Tanzania' mother boards(?).

-- Rick