Re: Getting Online! (Me too)

Subject: Re: Getting Online! (Me too)
From: Carolyn Jean Fairman (cfairman@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 10:08:43 MDT

Gus,

The router is a Netgear 4 port one, just so I can have 2+ computers on
a network. I'm working towards Linux certification and as may well be
clear here I don't know much about networks. (Plus my husband needed
his own computer so he would leave mine alone!).

So when the G3 is in Mac space the router shows an outside IP
connection, the internal one is fine (I gave it a fixed IP just as a
first step and I'll try DHCP later) and I get to the outside world. I
reboot into Yellow Dog and internally things are ok -- I can ping
stavia and localhost but trying to ping elsewhere gives me connect:
network is unreachable. Indeed when I check the router config webpage
(internally) it shows no WAN IP address. How also can I tell the
machine its IP address without manually running ifconfig eth0 each time
with the chosen 192.168.0.50?

I don't see why the router isn't getting an outside WAN address just
because my box started running linux...

--Carolyn

   I may be able to help...
   Why did you get the router ?
   Is it a combination router and DSL connection ?

   Gus S Calabrese