RE: DSL HELP!!

Subject: RE: DSL HELP!!
From: Ruprecht, Chris (cruprech@compucom.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 12:42:12 MDT

SW Bell is pretty useless, but better than no DSL at all - but these are
just my personal feelings towards them. As far as I'm concerned, they
fall into the same category as Micro$oft.

> DSL modem is
> hooked up via my ethernet port. I have YDL 2.0 and am using the KDE
> environment.

you do not KDE to do networking - it just makes things more confused.

> Here are a few things I've been told so far...
>
> 1. I've been told that adsl should be all I need to get online with my
> DSL modem. ( I don't know what "adsl" is and have not been
> able to find
> it anyway.)

You have ADSL, the A stands for 'Asynchronous' meaning that your upload
speed is not the same as your download speed. SW Hell offered 512/128 or
384/1552 KBit/sec lines. The other DSL would be SDSL which is much more
expensive and they offer 128/128, 284/384 and 756/756 KBit/sec. - but
then, only in some areas.

> 2. I've also been told that I need the following program to get hooked
> up via PPP...

you don't need all that stuff.
all you need to do is:

netconfig

then you select [*] DHCP and don't type in any of the IP addresses (it
will not let you anyway.

Then, check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, it should look
like this:
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
IPADDR=""

If one of these lines is missing: ADD IT!

Then, a reboot is quite in order. It should bring up eth0 ... [OK] when
it starts.
Then, type in 'ping www.apple.com'

if that works, you're done.

[snip all this PPP junk]

> What this means I have no idea!

just forget it.

> If there is anyone out there that can tell me how to get
> online (a step
> by step instruction - please do not assume I know any common
> steps, I'm
> afraid this will only lead to failure) I would sooooooooooooooo much
> appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depost $2000 into my bank account - <GRIN>.

Best regards,
Chris