Re: Can we triple boot

Subject: Re: Can we triple boot
From: John Canning (john@pcc.com )
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 21:46:49 MDT

On Thu Jun 21 20:14:48 2001 David C. Hacker, DVM wrote:

> You have to log in as root if you want to just type ybin at any command
> prompt and get it to run. Otherwise you have to cd to the directory it is
> in and type ./ybin. I think it is in /usr/sbin. Not at my linux box now so
> don't know for sure.

Under Unix/Linux, you have an environment variable called PATH. This
tells your shell where to look for commands that you enter on the
command line or that are called by other shell scripts.

When you log in as root, your PATH is set to include /sbin and /usr/sbin.
When you log in as a general user, your PATH is not set to include
these "system" directories. However, you can edit your profile (the
name of the file varies based on your shell) to set your PATH to
have different directories included in it.

If a program is not on your path, you can change directories, as David
mentioned, or you can just enter a full path name (/usr/sbin/whatever).

You can also set your PATH variable to look in the current directory
for a command. To do that, add either a :.: or :: to your PATH variable
(again, it depends on your shell).

I'm old Unix person, so I live in the world of sh and ksh; since most
Linux folks use bash, I am being unspecific about the shell.

John