Re: HFS vs. HFS+ (Was: Re: Zip disk ?)

Subject: Re: HFS vs. HFS+ (Was: Re: Zip disk ?)
From: Jamin "W." Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 08:02:14 MDT

I'm sorry, I've just seen this so often on so many different lists.
People expecting just because something's been around for a while that
that naturely means there MUST be a Linux version of it, or that Linux
MUST have the capability to do it.

On 22 Jun 2001 05:35:50 -0700, Bacil D. Warren, Lead Programmer wrote:
> Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but HFS+ has been around since about 1997.
> Why, in four years, are there no decent utilities from the Linux community,
> especially the PPC community, to use HFS+ disks? Is there some kind of
> license restriction?
I highly doubt there there is any license restriction. The more likely
case is the one you've just demonstrated. People looking for it and
expecting it to exist. When they don't find it, they question.
However, few actually take the next step to write the utility/driver.
This is after all Open Source, you have the freedom to create something
if it doesn't exist, you don't like what does exist, or you just get the
urge. However, I don't recall anything in the Open Source licenses that
indicate you can expect others to do the work for you.

> The hpmount, hpumount, and hp* utilities hardly count. They barely work now,
> and none of the other applications I've seen respect hpmounted filesystems
> anyway.
You have the tools, write the utility.

Jamin W. Collins