Sleep and Afterstep

Subject: Sleep and Afterstep
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 09:27:28 MDT

So, I have been plodding along trying to get the 2.0 install on my
powerbook to more closely resemble my 1.2.1 install.

AfterStep
=========

I used to run AfterStep, so I thought I'd reinstall that. I found it on
the Tasy Morsels CD, did an rpm -ivh After* and got back some failed
dependencies:
libWidgets.so.1
libafterstep.so.1
libasConfig.so.1
libasimage.so.1

So, I tried to figure out what might provide these packages with a little
rpm -qpl * | grep libWidgets on both install disks, and drew a blank. So,
I hopped over to rpmfind on my other machine (since I don't have PPP
working yet...) and discovered that all of the above are supposed to be
provided by the AfterStep rpm itself. So I did an rpm -qpl on the rpm, and
the files aren't listed.

I haven't tried force installing the rpm, and I haven't tried downloading
the ppc rpm from afterstep.org yet, but I thought I'd throw this problem
out and see if anyone knew something about this.

Sleep
=====

So, I have a 266Mhz G3 powerbook that I am working on. On the YDL site, it
claims that sleep isn't supported on my machine. However, it worked fine
under 1.2.1. I could run snooze, or I could just close the lid and my
machine would happily go to sleep, just like under the MacOS. I never had
a problem.

Thus, when I installed 2.0, even though I had read that sleep wasn't
supported, I thought nothing of closing the lid and putting it to sleep.
Later, when I woke it up, it looked fine, however when I tired to do
something in the terminal window, it never returned. SO, I tried to use
the KDE panel, and the whole thing froze up on me.

So, being a stubborn bastard, I tried several variations, I tried closing
the lid while in KDE, while just in terminal mode, and finally completely
logged out, but I had similar results every time. So, (it only occured to
me at this point), I checked to make sure that pmud was installed and
snooze was in my path. That was all fine, so I tried just running all of
the above again with snooze instead of closing the cover. Same results.

Has anyone had any luck with this, or know what would be so different
about the two distros that this would cease working?

-Christopher