Re: Emacs Culture?

Subject: Re: Emacs Culture?
From: Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 11:56:39 MDT

On Friday, June 22, 2001, at 09:03 AM, Pete Peters wrote:

> I'm just a newbie, too, so my few forays into launching emacs were like
> my first time using WordStar (oops, that'll date me!), i.e. painful. vi
> is quick 'n' dirty and meets my limited needs.

The difference between a vi user and an emacs user:

Give both the same text file, and set of changes.

the vi person will sit down and hack the changes into the file.

the emacs person will sit down and write a macro that will make the
changes for him. Once it's written, he'll start the macro and go to
lunch.

At the end, both have the changed file -- but the emacs person now has a
macro he'll put in his library, and never use again.

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

Love is the process of my leading you gently back to yourself. - Saint Exupery