Powerbook G3 - dual-scan passive matrix monitor trouble

Subject: Powerbook G3 - dual-scan passive matrix monitor trouble
From: Leif Halvard Silli (lhs@russisk.no)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 16:23:19 MDT

I read with great interest Christopher Black's (cpa@ece.cmu.edu) message
from 4th of june were he said:

> I have a '98 G3 Powerbook (266 Mhz).[snip]

I myself got the slower 233 mhz model: His monitor probably is a '24-bit
1024x768 color active matrix'. Mine model is a '12.1" 16-bit 800x600 color
dual-scan passive matrix'. Without level 2 cache also.

> So, I went into the text version of the installer. This seemed to
> work, so I proceded with the installation. Everything went smoothly until
> I got to the package installation phase.

My case is worse. I wonder if Terra Soft has forgotten mine model, with the
dual-scan passive matrix. I can't even use the textual installer. Because I
can't see anything. Apparently the installer doesn't know my kind of
monitor. All I see is wague colors with square dialogs. I can use the tab
key to move between the different choices and so on. But that doesn't help
when I'm not able to see what the choices are!

As soon as the booting proccess goes from BootX and linux take over, my
monitor becomes black with clear white letters. But then immedately the
textual installer, and everything becomes "shades of colors". It seems as if
the picture is duplicated. Or it is like looking into a room with a lot of
mirrors, where I see many copies of the same picture repeated. THere is one
part of the monitor where the main dialog stays. And I try to read it, but
it is impossible. (I suppose if I had a blow by blow description of what
happens and of the choices etc, I could get it to work.)

There is also other trouble. But I can't really know if they are real until
I'm able to tell what I myself has told to the computer... Only once did the
installation proceed as expected. But I stopped the installation process
since the monitor trounle made me very unsure about whether I did it the
right way and what which install option I would end up with.

I also tried connecting the PB to a 14" monitor. But even that created
monitor trouble. Allthough not of the same type (I suppose the installer
treated that monitor as a PB montior or something.) I'm going to try using a
17" multiple sca 1710 monitor also.

Earlier I have installed WIndows 98 and DOS inside a pentium emulator. And
also Darwin. In both cases I had no trouble with the monitor.

Who knows what to do...? Is there a command I can give in BootX or
something?

Leif Halvard Silli,
Oslo