Re: PPP on a Development Install?

Subject: Re: PPP on a Development Install?
From: Michael Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 21:12:23 MDT

Hi everyone,

  I found pppd, but when I run it it complains that my kernel does not
have support for ppp built-in. I am running on the standard 2.2.19 kernel
that ships with YDL2. I tried using /sbin/modprobe to see if it was
installed as a module, but this threw nothing but errors. So, my question
is this...If I go to the 2.4 kernel, will PPP already be compiled
in? Also, my system (as far as slocate is concerned), does NOT have kppp
on it, and netcfg doesn't appear to know how to add PPP connections (which
is probably because the kernel doesn't support them?). If I want to reduce
the possibility of errors (typos etc), is there a good front-end that
behaves well with YDL 2.0? I had tried Linuxconf and netcfg with 1.2.1,
but I have no idea what is the best option. Any suggestions would be
great.

Thanks,
Mike