Yellowdog Speed!!

Subject: Yellowdog Speed!!
From: Irena and Richard Jenkins (rjenkins@pop.alphalink.com.au)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 05:35:16 MDT

Greetings Everyone!

The sending of this message under netscape confirms that I have YDL
(1.2.1) working on this 6360. Until today I had a barrier with xwindows
... and I surpassed it only by changing the video arrangements at boot
time. By deselecting the video option at boot time and then specifying
the resolution and colour depth I have managed to get a working
display. Success at last!!

6360 is also known as a 4400 I believe ... and features a 603 processor
running at 160 MHz. Basic CPU speed is 40 MHZ. However, my control
centre in xwindows reports a speed of less than 5 Bogomips. I have
heard that there is some discussion among geeks about the accuracy of
Bogomips ... but my old 166 MHz pentium (which I sold) reported no less
than 133 Bogomips! This is many, many times the speed of my 6360. Do
other users find that their machines are slow...s l o w ?? Having a
step back to more than twenty times slower is a bit of a let down.

I run a 64 meg swap file ... and there is 80 meg of RAM on board. I
have no complaint about the speed under MacOS 8.5! I replaced the 1 G
hard drive with an IBM model (of around 4 Gig) ... so while not express
... I was certainly looking for reasonable performance. Do others
notice the delays in displaying the window manager and in completing
basic tasks like displaying large directories??

Can we compare speed notes? G4, G3 etc ... may stand to one side for
this ...(G)

Richard