Lost Mouse

Subject: Lost Mouse
From: michael (mlibby@qwest.net)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 07:39:37 MDT

The system: iMac rev. A, YDL2 developer install, nothing fancy.

The problem: the mouse -- a Kensington with a scroll-wheel (so far the only
thing I've found that's great about the scroll-wheel is that it will set the
volume in XMMS). The mouse keeps getting "dropped". I'll be cruising around
and suddenly the pointer will stick in one spot and the system will act like
the mouse is just plain gone. With kernel 2.2.19 I can simply
ctrl-alt-backspace out of X and restart X and problem is solved. With 2.4.4 I
have to reboot to regain control with the mouse.

I'm using KDE, and usually have this problem when the CPU is heavily loaded
(like I'm running Grip, Konqueror, and shell window that's compiling
something, etc). I can use the keyboard fine and everything. I've tried
restarting the gpm daemon, but to no effect.

Anyone else run into this? Any clues on how to fix this? It seems to me CS
1.2 had a similar problem where the mouse would move itself to the
upper-right corner and lock there, but I don't remember if I ever saw a fix
for that either.

Thanks in advance for your help,

-Michael